Saturday, October 31, 2009

No mas carne para this ambre

Well, I sat in my ground blind for 4.5 hours, got up at 11 and started walking around in the woods, stalking for deer. At 11:40 I saw some gray color and stopped for a closer look. It was a deer but I couldn't see if it had antlers. I can only take a doe, since I got my buck last weekend. After a few seconds she turned her head and I saw that there were no antlers. She was standing between two trees at about 80 yards up a little rise to the west from where I stood, but I had what I thought was an open shot at her kill zone, so I squeezed the trigger on my muzzle loader and it leaped in my arms, white smoke filing the air in front of me. there was a stiff breeze, so the smoke cleared quickly to reveal that the deer was still standing in the same place. Not what I expected to see. She should have spun, stumbled and trotted off, only to fall and breath no more. She was looking around to see where the noise came from, so I began searching my pocket for a re-load. before I cold get the pre-loaded cartridge out of my pocket, she spotted me. I was cammo-ed out so she didn't know that I was not a strange looking bush, but any movement would give me away. I know from experience that she will not stand and stare for long, so I moved ever so slowly to re-load my gun. The impossible thing though is you have to pull the long ram-rod out of the stock and push with all your might to drive the bullet down the barrel. With that she bolted, and was gone. I walked the distance, following a straight line of site to where she was previously standing and saw a fat stick that was recently broken. I'm only guessing that was the stick that either disintegrated my bullet or caused it to ricochet off into outer space or somewhere. No mas carne para this ambre.

No comments:

Post a Comment